Help Families Heal their Kids!
At the heart of our programs are our volunteers. The volunteers serve in many ways, helping make the House and Family Room comfortable and supportive places for our families.
For more information on Volunteering, please contact the Ronald McDonald House at 505-842-8960 or
To view our immediate Volunteer Opportunities visit Volunteer Match.
Ronald McDonald Family Room® Volunteers Needed!
In April 2013, an exciting new program will be added at the Presbyterian Hospital and we need your help! A Ronald McDonald Family Room will open to provide families with a positive environment where they can rest and regroup, while being only a heartbeat away from their child. The Family Room is created to give personal respite right inside the hospital for families of children undergoing medical treatment. The Family Room provides many of the comforts of home to help alleviate the anxiety of being in a hospital environment, providing a place to snack, do laundry, rest or reflect.
The Ronald McDonald Family Room will be run by staff and volunteers who work closely with hospital staff to provide the most comfortable and relaxing environment possible. Volunteers offer comfort and care for the families as they are dealing with the illness of their child.
Apply to become a Family Room Volunteer today by contacting Presbyterian Volunteer Services at
505-841-1869. Volunteer Application
Volunteer Video - Rosa Reyes
- 1st Thursday of each month 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- 3rd Saturday of each month 9:00 am - 10:30 am
- Application must be turned in prior to orientation
- Must pre-register for orientation by calling Traci at 505-842-8960
Ronald McDonald House
- Light cleaning and organizing, sort laundry, yard work and small projects
- Answer phones, greet guests and assist with clerical and computer tasks, database entry, preparing spreadsheets and research
- Write thank you notes
Ronald McDonald Family Room
- Be a host at the Family Room at UNM Children's Hospital (three hour shifts)
- Welcome and register families
- Keep room tidy and quiet for visitors
- Supervise use of the facility, answer phone
- Check supplies and restock as needed
- Must be 18 years or older
This is a great Team Building activity emphasizing the importance of communication, cooperation and teamwork!
- Clean, do yard work, or host a family night event
- Fundraise, Host a Wish List or Pop Tab Drive
Other Volunteer Opportunities
- Ambassadors are trained to represent RMHC-NM in the community
- Community Partners host an fund drive or wish list drive, provide discounted services or become a sponsor
- Family Volunteers moms, dads, grandparents and kids age 10 and above, pick a Saturday or weekday and disinfect toys, organize books and puzzles, do light yard work.
- House Bakers share their cooking talents by preparing baked goods in our kitchen
- In-Kind Professional Services donate your professional services and talent
- Social Media, Photography/Videographers help promote RMHC-NM to an online audience or donate your talent for upcoming events or projects
- Special Events volunteer as event staff or help during set-up or break-down, great for groups!
- Teen Volunteers at least 16 years of age are welcome to give their time and talents to the House.
Dale Mochko, House Volunteer
The Janet Vargas Memorial Fund’s (JVMF) involvement with the Ronald McDonald House began the day the ground was broken for the construction of the House in December 1981. As charity manager for the Janet Vargas Memorial Fund, Dale continues to live their mission and goal of turning their money into much needed donations, providing fun and excitement for sick children and their families.
In conjunction with the JVMF, Dale’s relationship with the House began by providing much needed items to support the day-to-day operations. This support has evolved into many projects over the years. In 1985, the JVMF started asking the staff what they needed for the House that could not be afforded in the annual budget. These items became Christmas wishes and ever since, the JVMF has made these wishes come true.
Some projects include remodel and maintenance of the House playground, adding an automated sprinkler system, participation in our Adopt A Room Program, maintaining the House media library, providing ongoing technology support and providing Christmas gifts for families each December.
Dale has continued to run the charity after his retirement from the New Mexico Air National Guard in 1999, after 28 years of military service in the Air Force and the Air National Guard.
Thank you Dale for your awe-inspiring commitment and selfless giving to the House and to the many families, that that receive the support of the Janet Vargas Memorial Fund.
January Volunteer of the Month
House, 1 Year
December Volunteer of the Month
Family Room, 1 Year
November Volunteer of the Month
Family Room, 2 Years
September Volunteer of the Month
Housewarmer, 2 Years
August Volunteer of the Month
Housewarmer, 3 Years
July Volunteer of the Month
Family Room, 5 Years
Young Life Volunteers
Swing Fore the House Volunteers